I’m at the Orange Conference this week, and I’m blogging notes from main sessions. Here are my notes from the second main session.
- The church saved my life, in a preventative way.
- You are preventing more than you can ever imagine in the lives of kids and students.
- For Andy, the Church:
- Informed his conscience – A conscience that is well-shaped in a child is an anchor for the rest of their life.
- Instilled a sense of purpose
- Provided the context for lifelong friendships
- Served as a window into God’s activity all over the world
- Taught me to be Jesus
- Following Jesus will make your life better and make you better at life.
- People followed Jesus before they believed.
- The Church provides the strongest argument for the dignity of individuals and human rights.
- “Classical philosophers considered mercy and pity to be character defects, contrary to justice. Not until Jesus did that attitude change.” – Philip Yancy
- The Church inspires us to embrace the one mandate that could change everything – Love your neighbor as yourself.
Outside of your family, there’s nothing greater you’ll invest your life in than the local church.