13 Dec Episode 031: The Power of Story with Dan Scott
In this episode, I talk with Orange 252 Basics Large Group Director, Daniel Scott. Dan and I talk about the power of story. We look at how it’s used in the Bible and how we can best leverage that when teaching the Bible story to the kids and students in our ministries. Dan also walks through how to train, develop, and evaluate the leaders who are telling God’s story to your kids and students.
Last Chance to Share Your Staffing & Volunteer Ratios
This is the last week of the survey I’m running to see what other church’s staffing and volunteer ratios look like, and I’d love your input. As motivation, I’m giving away 25 prizes worth almost $2,500.
Links Mentioned in This Episode
252 Basics – The curriculum and resources provided by Orange for elementary environments
Storyteller Interview Questions – Specifics on what to ask and how to interview potential communicators
Storyteller Evaluation – Thoughts on how to evaluate your communicators and what questions you should be asking as you watch them interact with the audience
5 Questions for Storytellers to Ask – The five questions storytellers should ask themselves as they prepare teaching the Bible Story
Communicating for a Change (book) – Andy Stanley offers seven keys to irresistible communication and talks about the power of leveraging transitions
Teaching the Bible Story: Tips for Communicators
- Know your audience
- Know how other people are communicating to your kids (Ex: Watch Disney Channel). Ask: What can I leverage from what they do well to communicate better?
- Memorize your script so that you can make eye contact
- Don’t try to memorize word-for-word. Know where you’re going and where the arc of the story is headed.
- Prepare your audience’s brain for the next thing and utilize transitions
Teaching the Bible Story: Tips for Training Communicators
- Bring all of your communicators together
- Share one useful pointer or best practice
- Play improv. games and do workshops
- Teach them about voice, movement, and taking notes
- Connect them with other communicators and have them share best practices with each other
- Cast the vision that your communicators are a competing narrative against everything else their audience listens to or watches
- Consider hosting a training where communicators can learn together. Give them Dan’s 5 Questions for Storytellers to Ask as a takeaway resource.
- Check out Dan’s Storyteller Evaluation and begin evaluating your communicators regularly
Subscribe | Share | Rate | Comment
To make sure you never miss a post, hit the subscribe button in iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, or Tune In radio. Keep your friends and co-workers up-to-date as well by sharing it with them via email or social media.
Leave a rating and a comment in iTunes to let me know how this podcast is helping you and your ministry. Also, let me know how we can make it better!
Next Episode: Jeff Cochran
In the next episode, I talk with Jeff Cochran of YMLead. Jeff and I talk about leadership development and the system his team uses to develop leaders in Student Ministry. He share specifics about the different components of their plan and how they move people from one level to the next. These principles apply across the board in Children’s and Student Ministry.