In this episode, I talk with Student Pastor Justin Knowles. Justin and I have a great conversation about youth ministry, what it looks like at his church, and how to get creative with programming. We also dive into what makes a great volunteer culture and he shares his 3 year plan for revamping the ministry he came into at Christ’s Church.
Like the page and comment on my OC17 Ticket post with your location and church. I will be choosing a name this Friday, April 7 at 5PM Eastern Time. If you’re planning to be at the Orange Conference, feel free to reach out and let me know. It’d be great to connect with you!
Links Mentioned in This Episode
Download Youth Ministry Blog – Check out Justin’s posts and other great youth ministry resources
The 4 Disciplines of Execution (book) – Chris McChesney shares how to determine what is most important, develop a strategy for going after it, and seeing it through to completion
- Glow-in-the-dark night
- Silent disco with headphones and dancing
- Fall flannel festival with fire pits, a photo booth, and all things pumpkin flavored
- Backyard BBQ with burgers, hot dogs, inflatables, human hamster balls, and an ice cream truck
Christ’s Church’s New Student Area
- Invite new students to the back of room at the end of the night
- Have them fill out a quick info card
- Give them a giant candy bar
- Follow up that week with a personal text from the leader they were introduced to
Justin’s Process for Revamping Student Ministry
- Started with leaders
- Rewrote volunteer expectations
- Had all leaders reapply
- Onboarded new volunteers
- Created opportunities for leaders to hang out together
- Began 3 year plan (Programming, small groups, serving)
- Try planning and hosting events that take place during your regular programming
- Gather a team of people and brainstorm ideas for every area of Student Ministry
Subscribe | Share | Rate | Comment
To make sure you never miss a post, hit the subscribe button in iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, or Tune In radio. Keep your friends and co-workers up-to-date as well by sharing it with them via email or social media.
Leave a rating and a comment in iTunes to let me know how this podcast is helping you and your ministry. Also, let me know how we can make it better!
Next Episode: Shannon Pijanowski
In the next episode, I talk with one of the small group leaders from our church, Shannon Pijanowski. Shannon is a phenomenal SGL who leads a group of 2nd graders every Sunday morning, and a group of 11th graders every Sunday night. We walk through what she does on a week-to-week basis to connect with kids and students, and how she partners with their parents. The principles and practices she shares are really helpful for ministry leaders, but could also serve as a great resource for your volunteers.