02 May Episode 051: Ministry in a Small Church With Jared Massey
In this episode, I interview Jared Massey. Jared and I talk about what children’s ministry in a small church looks like. Jared shares his definition of a small church, why he is passionate about leaders who serve in a small church context, and unique strengths and challenges they face. Whether you serve in children’s or student ministry, the principles apply across the board.
One Year Anniversary
The One Year Anniversary of the podcast is Tuesday, May 16th. You won’t want to miss this episode! Like NickBlevins.com on Facebook and check your email for giveaways and more info as it approaches. I’ll also be doing a special Q&A episode, where I answer questions that all of you have sent in throughout the year. If you’d like to submit a question, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org, send it on Twitter @nickblevins, or click the “Ask a Question” button on the right side of this page to leave a message. I’d love to hear from you!
Links Mentioned in This Episode
RuralCompassion.org – An organization that helps small churches in rural areas make an impact in their communities
Leadership and Church Size Dynamics – Dr. Timothy Keller shares how size effects the culture, style, strengths, weaknesses, and roles within a church
The Grasshopper Myth (book) – Karl Vaters argues against the myth that small churches are less than what God desires them to be
Strengths of Small Churches
- Opportunity to know and care for all individuals
- Environment that feels like home
- Fewer facilities and resources to manage
- Lack of red tape creates an ability to be mobile and respond quickly to needs
Barriers Small Churches Face
- The need to be all things to all people
- Spending too much time in areas that are not your strengths
- Finite resources
Recruiting in a Small Church
- Have conversations with people and ask lots of questions
- Don’t make assumptions, and don’t allow what you know to disqualify someone
- The best conversations happen outside of church
- Check out some of the resources mentioned above to see where your church falls in terms of size, strengths, and other dynamics
- Evaluate the different ministries and initiatives in your church to determine what you can eliminate
Subscribe | Share | Rate | Comment
To make sure you never miss a post, hit the subscribe button in iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, or Tune In radio. Keep your friends and co-workers up-to-date as well by sharing it with them via email or social media.
Leave a rating and a comment in iTunes to let me know how this podcast is helping you and your ministry. Also, let me know how we can make it better!
Next Episode: Jeff Henderson
In the next episode, I talk with Jeff Henderson. Jeff and I talk about something new he’s launching to help dads invest in their sons in a unique way. It’s an awesome way to partner with parents and help families win. You won’t want to miss it.