22 Aug Episode 067: Kenny Conley – 5 Keys to a Good Start
In this episode, I welcome back NextGen Pastor, Kenny Conley, to the podcast (Check out Episode 25 when Kenny talks about the NextGen and Family Ministry Model). This time, Kenny shares the five things to focus on during your first year in a NextGen role. Kenny just finished his first year at a new church in this NextGen role, and coming out of that, he has some great wisdom to share. Whether you lead in NextGen, or specifically in Children’s or Youth Ministry, the principles and practical advice he shares are really helpful.
Mastermind groups for ministry leaders are launching this October! A mastermind group is a group of leaders, who serve in a similar context, and come together to: help each other grow, challenge each other, share resources, and offer accountability. Click here for more info and to apply!
Links Mentioned in This Episode
You Lead Coaching – An initiative dedicated to coaching leaders via themed teaching, discussion groups, and projects within their own churches and organizations
I am NextGen FB Group – Connect with other NextGen leaders and share resources
Jim Wideman’s Infuse Program – A 6-month mentoring experience available to Children’s Pastors
The First Year (blogpost) – Kenny unpacks what the first year in a NextGen role should look like
Ministry Makeover Resource – Sign up to get Kenny’s resource (coming soon), about how to turn your ministry around
5 Things to Do in Your First Year
- Take time to learn the culture of your church. Listen and ask lots of questions.
- Get to know your staff, their perspectives on the ministry, and build trust with them
- Learn the role and find your rhythm
- Dive into a role when necessary
- Know where you’re going, and chart your future
- Take the five things Kenny talked about and evaluate where you are in those areas
- Create a simple 3-step action plan to help you get better this month
- Ask: Are you still operating like you are new to the role? If you have been in the role for a while, consider expanding what you do in your role and leading more through other people.
Subscribe | Share | Rate | Comment
To make sure you never miss a post, hit the subscribe button in iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, or Tune In radio. Keep your friends and co-workers up-to-date as well by sharing it with them via email or social media.
Leave a rating and a comment in iTunes to let me know how this podcast is helping you and your ministry. Also, let me know how we can make it better!
Next Episode: Rich Birch
In the next episode, I talk with Rich Birch from the unSeminary Podcast. We unpack the differences that exist between Family Ministry in churches that are less than 1,000, and over 1,000. Rich also walks through the unique challenges facing those trying to break through the 1,000 barrier. The principles he shares are really helpful whether you are in that stage or not, as you may be facing similar things when you are striving to grow during a different phase.