29 Aug Episode 068: Rich Birch on Breaking 1000 in Family Ministry
In this episode, I talk with Rich Birch from the unSeminary Podcast. We unpack the differences that exist between Family Ministries in churches that are less than 1,000, and over 1,000. Rich also walks through the unique challenges facing those trying to break through the 1000 barrier. The principles he shares are really helpful whether you are in that stage or not, as you may be facing similar things when you are striving to grow during a different phase.
Mastermind groups for ministry leaders are launching this October! A mastermind group is a group of leaders, who serve in a similar context, and come together to: help each other grow, challenge each other, share resources, and offer accountability. The groups are half full, so click here for more info and apply now!
The Volunteer Playbook Group is a 10-week challenge to help you recruit more volunteers. You’ll be part of a group of 20+ ministry leaders as we build our volunteer teams from the ground up. There are only five spaces left–click here for more info and to register today!
Notes From This Episode
- Identify why people come to your church
- Ask: What old habits are we holding onto and why? Are we doing too many things?
- Evaluate your leadership structure, how decisions are made, and the mindset key leaders have
- Be intentional about restructuring your organization so that all things don’t point to the senior leader
- Think multiplication
Tips for Working with Your Lead Pastor
- Understand what they value
- Listen to their priorities
- Know what they are emotionally connected to, and look for ways to add value to that. Ask yourself how the family ministry interacts with that.
- Speak the language of your lead pastor
- Identify which of the barriers applies to your church right now
- Gather a group of people together and talk about how you can strategically overcome that barrier
Subscribe | Share | Rate | Comment
To make sure you never miss a post, hit the subscribe button in iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, or Tune In radio. Keep your friends and co-workers up-to-date as well by sharing it with them via email or social media.
Leave a rating and a comment in iTunes to let me know how this podcast is helping you and your ministry. Also, let me know how we can make it better!
Next Episode: Clay Scroggins
In the next episode, I talk with Clay Scroggins about his new book, How to Lead When You’re Not in Charge. We had a great conversation about how to apply the principles he talks about in a Family Ministry context, what they look like practically, and some steps you can take to use your influence even when you’re not in charge.