05 Dec Episode 082: Training and Equipping Small Group Leaders With Afton Phillips
In this episode, I interview Afton Phillips. Afton is the Director of Small Group Strategies at Orange, and we talk about a training plan that they have developed for small group leaders. She breaks this plan down and walks through what you can be doing yearly, monthly, and weekly to consistently and intentionally train your team. While this training plan is specific to small group leaders, it can be taken and applied across the board in multiple roles.
Links Mentioned in This Episode
LeadSmall.org – Engage, inspire and train small group leaders
Lead Small (book) – The five big ideas every small group leader needs to do
GoWeekly.com – Resourcing ministry leaders to connect with parents and small group leaders each week
3 Questions to Ask When Training Small Group Leaders
- What am I doing this year to train small group leaders?
- What am I doing this month to train small group leaders?
- What am I doing this week to train small group leaders?
Small Group Leader Training Outline
- Yearly: Kick-off event at beginning of the year (incorporate vision and specifics for the year) and end of the year celebration
- Monthly: Monthly spotlight on a Lead Small principle and challenge leaders with small group leader goals
- Weekly: Communicate via social media channels and email
5 Lead Small Principles
- Be present
- Create a safe place
- Partner with parents
- Make it personal
- Move them out
- Get Weekly
- Create your training plan for this coming year
Subscribe | Share | Rate | Comment
To make sure you never miss a post, hit the subscribe button in iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, or Tune In radio. Keep your friends and co-workers up-to-date as well by sharing it with them via email or social media.
Leave a rating and a comment in iTunes to let me know how this podcast is helping you and your ministry. Also, let me know how we can make it better!
Next Episode: Alison Leman
In the next episode, we dive into preschool ministry with Alison Leman. Alison walks through what preschool ministry looks like at her church (Preston Trail), the “why” behind it, and how they cultivate a volunteer culture that is committed to that vision.