16 Jan Episode 087: Erin English on Growing Your Volunteer Team and Setting Goals in the New Year
In this episode, I talk with Erin English. Erin is the Early Childhood Pastor at Westside Family Church. Erin shares the principles and practical steps that helped grow her volunteer team from 250 to 400 in just two years. We then have a great conversation about goal setting and evaluations, digging into the importance of using these tools to help you pursue what God has in store for you and your ministry this year.
If you want to dive deeper and push through those barriers, registration opens for the next round of the Volunteer Playbook Group next week.
Links Mentioned in This Episode
Shape Assessment – A spiritual gifts test to help people discover how God has uniquely gifted them to serve his kingdom
5 Step Process for New Volunteers – An onboarding process for new volunteers
SMART Goal Worksheet – Set smart, measurable, attainable, relevant, and timely goals
SMART Goal Worksheet (Volunteer Recruitment) – Check out Erin’s SMART goal sheet for her volunteer recruitment goal
Volunteer Recruitment: Onramps
- First Look Orientation (monthly)
- Parent Partnership Plan (an invite sent quarterly to all parents)
- Shape Assessment (an invite sent to people with specific spiritual gifts, as shown by the assessment they fill out at Get Connected)
- Churchwide call
- Personal invitation with card
Volunteer Recruitment: The Orientation
- Start with vision video
- Unpack what a ministry hour looks like
- Share descriptions of all the roles and connect the dots
- Close with a story video that shows life change
- Give every attendee a handout and a next steps sheet
- Staff members and volunteer coaches follow up with all who express interest
- Start hosting a regular orientation
- Be intentional about inviting people to serve
- Set a volunteer recruitment goal for this year, and then lay out a plan to pursue it
Subscribe | Share | Rate | Comment
To make sure you never miss a post, hit the subscribe button in iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, or Tune In radio. Keep your friends and co-workers up-to-date as well by sharing it with them via email or social media.
Leave a rating and a comment in iTunes to let me know how this podcast is helping you and your ministry. Also, let me know how we can make it better!