I’m at the Orange Conference this week, and I’m blogging notes from main sessions. Here are my notes from the first main session.
Monday is Coming
The theme of this year’s Orange Conference is Monday is Coming. The question we’re challenged with is:
Will what happens on Sunday matter in someone’s life on Monday?
Sundays never has to be:
You have to imagine someone’s Monday before you can re-imagine Sunday.
- When you have a Monday mindset, you think about what’s coming the rest of the week.
- When you only have a Sunday mindset, you measure success by how many show up.
- When you have a Monday mindset, you focus on how many will come back.
- Truth matters, when love matters.
- Sometimes what you say doesn’t matter even if it’s true.
- You can’t speak the truth in love if you don’t know the people you’re speaking to.
- It’s not your job to fix anyone. It’s your job to love them.
- It’s hard to speak the truth in love if you don’t know about someone’s Monday.
- Empathy doesn’t change the truth; it enhances the truth.
- Empathy is the ability to press pause on your own thoughts and feelings long enough to understand someone else’s thoughts and feelings.
- We need to re-imagine how to knock on someone’s door the way Jesus talked about knocking on the door of our hearts.
- There will be kids and families who will never step into your church until you step into their world.