This episode features an interview with Heidi Hensley focused on the topics of volunteer appreciation and new beginnings. Heidi and I chatted pre-pandemic but many of these principles and practices are still valuable and extremely applicable in the church today.
Connect with Heidi through Instagram
Clearstream works with thousands of churches worldwide and integrates with tools your church already uses such as MailChimp, Church Community Builder, Rock RMS, Planning Center, and more. Find out more at Clearstream.io.
What things did you learn coming into a new church/role?
- No matter how healthy the church/ministry is, transition and change is difficult
- Invited leaders to a round table (“ask me anything” style)
- Find common ground and give teams a voice
- Only changes in the first year were things that could compromise the safety or the message
- Learn the culture first
- Book: The First 90 Days
Talk about Volunteer Appreciation Events:
- Once a year celebration that includes every aspect of children's ministry
- Decided to keep this separate from any type of training
- Created awards for volunteers
- Celebrated why volunteers are needed and why what they do matters
- Three scheduled trainings (required to attend at least one)
- Volunteer trainings are mandatory
- Training events are prompt and don't waste time (this produces retention)
- Casting vision for the ministry
- **Reveal new color of volunteer shirt at the Fall training
Keys to great volunteer appreciation:
- Make sure they KNOW it's about them – don't mix training with appreciation
- Make sure it accommodates their family (family BBQ type of event, or childcare available)
- Make sure it can be replicated
- Make sure they see where they have come from… celebrate the growth… celebrate the empowerment
- Sing Happy Birthday – give cupcakes
- Write 5 random “Thank You” notes
- Equip volunteers well
- Never underestimate the value of kind words
- Write 5 notes
- Hold an event (maybe)
- Check out The First 90 Days book
Ministry Boost Membership + New Courses
Get Exclusive Content from this Week's Episode
Use the form below to subscribe to my email list where you’ll get an email each Tuesday when a new podcast comes out. That email will also include something exclusive related to the podcast that’s not found in the post or in the episode.
Subscribe | Share | Rate | Comment
To make sure you never miss a post, hit the subscribe button in iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, or Tune In radio. Keep your friends and co-workers up-to-date as well by sharing it with them via email or social media.
Special Sponsor: Clearstream
This episode is sponsored by Clearstream. Clearstream.io works with thousands of churches worldwide and integrates with tools your church already uses such as MailChimp, Church Community Builder, Rock RMS, Planning Center, and more. You can get started on a free-trial, and if you're with a new church plant under 1 year old can use Clearstream free for 12 months.