In this episode, I speak with my friend Matt McKee, one of the leading voices on the topic of online safety for kids and parenting within a tech world. Matt also shares some practical principles and mindset shifts in regard to technology and helps clarify some goals for parents who have questions about boundaries with technology.
Connect with Matt on Twitter | Instagram | Website
Clearstream works with thousands of churches worldwide and integrates with tools your church already uses such as MailChimp, Church Community Builder, Rock RMS, Planning Center, and more. Find out more at Clearstream.io.
Parenting in a Tech World
- Number one question/fear of most parents = What do I do with my kid and technology?
- Goal: Helping make kids good digital citizens no matter what is out there
- Parents/families don’t have to be experts in a specific technology, but we must learn how to ask “how does it work” or “can you teach me how…”
A couple of principles to help:
- Stop asking “how much time should they spend on the device” and start asking “what is the purpose of them spending time on the device”?
- Ex: One hour of Youtube… What’s the purpose? (consumption vs. creation)
- Some purposes to rally behind:
- Build a relationship with your kids around technology
Info on Bark:
- Artificial Intelligence operating inside of programs
- Allows kids to make minor mistakes online, but with the filters to screen content
- Helps give some intelligence and data for parents to better understand how technology is being used
- Get the book and course
- Create a plan to share it with your church
- Check out Bark – for you (if you're a parent) and church
**BONUS: If you plan on attending the Orange Conference, use the discount code BLEVINSPOD to receive 10% off tickets
Ministry Boost Coaching is back!
Click here to check out the amazing benefits of coaching groups with Ministry Boost.
Multiply Ministry Conference – All-Access Pass
Click here to get the All-Access Pass to get access to the Multiply Ministry Conference replays of every main session and breakout. Over 30 sessions of content about empowering volunteers.
Get Exclusive Content from this Week's Episode
Use the form below to subscribe to my email list where you’ll get an email each Tuesday when a new podcast comes out. That email will also include something exclusive related to the podcast that’s not found in the post or in the episode.
Subscribe | Share | Rate | Comment
To make sure you never miss a post, hit the subscribe button in iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, or Tune In radio. Keep your friends and co-workers up-to-date as well by sharing it with them via email or social media.
Special Sponsor: Clearstream
This episode is sponsored by Clearstream. Clearstream.io works with thousands of churches worldwide and integrates with tools your church already uses such as MailChimp, Church Community Builder, Rock RMS, Planning Center, and more. You can get started on a free-trial, and if you're with a new church plant under 1 year old can use Clearstream free for 12 months.