In this episode, Kadi Cole engages in a conversation about how churches can develop female leaders. In this rich and informative discussion, Kadi also gives some applicable steps toward churches clarifying leasership roles for women.
Clearstream works with thousands of churches worldwide and integrates with tools your church already uses such as MailChimp, Church Community Builder, Rock RMS, Planning Center, and more. Find out more at Clearstream.io.
Current State of Female Leadership in Churches
- Open conversation from pastoral staff (including male pastors)
- However, for most women in leadership, the leadership opportunity offered is not a win
- More opportunities have been opened up and more people are championing dialogue on this topic
Points of tension
- Male leaders who believe this conversation is not important
- Not much momentum for women in leadership
- Friction from women who want to grow into leadership
- Mindset: “we have a lot of women on staff” so that should settle it
- A lack of pastoral leadership and fairness around women in leadership
- Those in historically conservative organizations who are taking elders and staff through this conversation
- Correction around practices that align with their theology
- Lead Pastors being clear with everyone about leadership roles available to women
- Clarity breeds confidence, which accelerates people into leadership
- Best practice: Clarify your theology
- Churches not viewing this as a binary choice of being “for” women or “against” women
- What can women in leadership do to develop this conversation within their church?
- Ask great questions: Help me understand why ____?
- Approach with a posture of honesty and honor
- Address the real/specific issues
- Resource: Developing Female Leaders
What can the church do to develop women?
- Consider the public view of your team – adjust to 30%-40% of “diversity”
- Take on diversity around
- Consider who you have on the platform for announcements, on social media, etc.
- Invite women into leadership development tracks (not just creating one specifically for women)
- Teach leadership concepts not around gender but around biblical leadership principles
- Affirm leadership potential in young women (teenagers) – leadership named and affirmed in them before the age of 19
- Read the book as a leadership team
- Use the chart to see where your church fits (and you fit)
- Take steps to clarify beliefs
Ministry Boost Coaching is back!
Get Exclusive Content from this Week's Episode
Use the form below to subscribe to my email list where you’ll get an email each Tuesday when a new podcast comes out. That email will also include something exclusive related to the podcast that’s not found in the post or in the episode.
Subscribe | Share | Rate | Comment
To make sure you never miss a post, hit the subscribe button in iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, or Tune In radio. Keep your friends and co-workers up-to-date as well by sharing it with them via email or social media.
Special Sponsor: Clearstream
This episode is sponsored by Clearstream. Clearstream.io works with thousands of churches worldwide and integrates with tools your church already uses such as MailChimp, Church Community Builder, Rock RMS, Planning Center, and more. You can get started on a free-trial, and if you're with a new church plant under 1 year old can use Clearstream free for 12 months.