At Community Christian Church we use curriculum from Orange for our Preschool, Elementary and Student ministry environments. Below is an overview of each and why we use Orange. Orange did not pay me to write this, which is a moot point since I would only promote something I really think is helpful.
First Look helps preschoolers have a lasting understanding of these 3 things:
- God Made Me.
- God Loves Me.
- Jesus wants to be my friend forever.
252 Basics (from Luke 2:52) helps elementary-aged kids have a lasting understanding of these 3 things:
- I need to make the wise choice.
- I should treat others the way I want to be treated.
- I can trust God no matter what.
XP3 is designed as a comprehensive student curriculum that helps students experience their faith in three areas. Wonder. Discovery. Passion. (hence eXPerience 3)
- WONDER: I am created to pursue an authentic relationship with my Creator.
- DISCOVERY: I belong to Jesus Christ and define who I am by what He says.
- PASSION: I exist every day to demonstrate God’s love to a broken world.
Reasons I Love Orange Curriculum
(in no particular order)
- It’s all about Jesus, the gospel, how God loves us and how Jesus showed us how to live.
- Every week is based on strong teaching from the Bible.
- The goal of the curriculum is not to teach the entire Bible, but to teach children & students the most important parts that relate to their life (kind of like Jesus did most of the time).
- It’s built on these core foundations:
- Small groups.
- Partnering with parents.
- Having one, synchronized family ministry strategy.
- Discipleship is as much about serving as anything else.
- It’s extremely cost-effective.
- I know a ton of people who work there and they’re great servants, leaders, thinkers and creatives.
- There’s more than enough content each week and you can customize it for your needs.
- It’s relevant to the age groups and isn’t written years in advance.
- The graphics and media are excellent.
- There are supporting resources for just about everything (training volunteers, communicating to parents, events, etc).
- They are kingdom-minded and what the Church to thrive.
- They are always evaluating and improving.
- We have used it for over 6 years and have seen great benefits and hear tons of amazing stories because of it.
I’ll stop there since many of you probably stopped reading already. If you made it this far, I have a page on my site about key questions to answer when choosing curriculum that might be helpful to you.