Andy Stanley is a pastor and author and is someone who has been hugely influential to my growth as a follower of Jesus. He has also helped me grow as a leader. The primary way in which he has helped me grow is through his teaching. His teachings are a big reason why I serve on staff at a church today and why I hope to serve The Church for the rest of my life.
I've listened to his teaching and read his books for over almost two decades and one of the things he is great at is packing insightful truth from the Bible into memorable statements. Below is a list of just some of the statements I've held onto from his teachings, and have tried to apply to my life, specifically in the area of faith.
- To understand why, submit and apply. (When you're not sure about why God wants you to do something.)
- Your friends will determine the direction and quality of your life.
- Direction, not intention, determines your destination.
- Good people don't go to heaven, forgiven people do. (From his dad I believe.)
- What would you do if you were absolutely confident that God was with you? (From Joseph's story.)
- What's the wise choice in this situation?
- When facing temptation, there's always more at stake than we realize.
- Give. Save. Live. (Simple principle for finances.)
- Rules without relationship leads to rebellion.
- Maximum freedom is always found under the authority of God.
- The more conscious I am of the work God has yet to do in me, the less critical I am about what he has yet to do in you.
- People who were not like Jesus, liked Jesus.
- If we could see as God sees we would do as God says.
- Purity paves the way to intimacy.
- Submission is an invitation to lead.
- Everybody lives forever somewhere.
- Acceptance fuels influence.
- Never trade the immediate for the important.
- There's no win in comparison.
- Character is not made in crisis; it is only exhibited.
You can listen to Andy's teaching on North Point's Message Page and by Subscribing to their podcasts, including his Leadership Podcast, which is excellent.