In this episode, I talk with Corey Ray Jones about productivity and effective planning. Corey is the Lead Children's Pastor at Southern Hills Christian Church in Carrollton, Georgia. We walk through what a typical week looks like for him and he shares specific things he does to maximize his time and effectiveness.
Corey Ray Jones
Connect with Corey on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Southern Hills Christian Church
Links Mentioned in This Episode
Weekly Staff Report – One of the resources in Jim Wideman's Evaluation Toolbox with principles for effective planning that help you identify key strategies, evaluate the previous week, and prioritize leadership development
High Impact Leader – Check out Carey Nieuwhof's online course designed to help you get time, energy, and priorities working in your favor
KidMinNation.com – KidMin Nation is a year-round Children's Ministry Conference that is all about helping you navigate your ministry into the future
Corey's Week At a Glance
- Sunday: Serve at morning services and plan for the rest of the week
- Monday: Attend All Staff, lead Children's Meeting, do lunch, start biggest priority/project for week, work on volunteer appreciation, and prep for Sunday
- Tuesday: Start another big project, have lunch with a volunteer, finish project, and look at running to-do list
- Wednesday: Hang out with staff team, finish 1 of the 3 big projects, plan events/curriculum, and serve at Wednesday night church
- Thursday: Evaluate Wednesday night, prep message for next Wednesday, have lunch with a volunteer or staff, spend time on vision and big picture ministry stuff, clean desk, and print out Weekly Staff Report for coming week
- Friday: Spend the morning at a coffee shop and do social media, write blogs, and connect with other ministry leaders. Eat lunch with my wife and have date night in the evening.
Corey's Personal Development
- Spend time with God
- Spend time with spouse and/or family
- Take care of physical needs
- Listen to podcasts in the morning
- Read blogs during lunch and books in the evening
- Watch 1-2 webinars weekly
- Meet with coach or mentor on a monthly basis
- Check out the Weekly Staff Report and identify how you will plan your week
- Commit to pursue effective planning and evaluate each week for 1 month
- Get Carey Nieuwhof's High Impact Leader and start working through the course
- Check out KidMinNation.com for more resources
Subscribe | Share | Rate | Comment
To make sure you never miss a post, hit the subscribe button in iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, or Tune In radio. Keep your friends and co-workers up-to-date as well by sharing it with them via email or social media.
Leave a rating and a comment in iTunes to let me know how this podcast is helping you and your ministry. Also, let me know how we can make it better!
Next Episode: Andy Needham
In the next episode, I talk with Andy Needham. Andy is part of an organization called Greenhouse that puts on one-day training events for Children's and Student Ministry volunteers. We walk through what he and his team have learned and how we can take those lessons to better train and equip our own volunteers.
Thank you Nick for allowing me to be a part of your family ministry podcast! You are really making a difference in the #KidMin world and helping a lot of folks with your work!