In this episode, I talk with Alex Beaverson of Mariners Church. Alex and I have a great conversation about how his team empowers students to serve and lead in high school ministry. He walks through the different volunteer teams they have, and their processes for training and onboarding students. Whether you serve in kids or student ministry, the principles for how to empower students to serve apply across the board.
Links Mentioned in This Episode
Rooted – A 10 week discipleship curriculum that walks through the basics about faith–who God is, who the Holy Spirit is, tithing, breaking strongholds, etc. Mariners ends each 10 week class with a baptism celebration.
Mariners Church Student Programming
- Win: To help students take a next step in following Jesus
- 1 hour, 15 minutes on Sunday morning
- Student led
- Excellence is valued, especially in music
- Always includes a game that gets students laughing and interacting
- Message is about a topic students want to hear about, and calls them to something more
- Walk in video with a countdown timer playing to a song students hear on the radio
- Welcome time, led by a student
- 5 minute game
- 3 worship songs
- Story video to introduce the message
- 1 worship song
- In-N-Out Burger
Mariners HSM Volunteer Teams
- First impressions
- Middle school ministry
- Kids' ministry
- Disability ministry
- Draw up a plan for how you can empower students to serve in your ministry if they are not already
- If you have students serving in your ministry, what is the goal you are pushing towards to get more students serving? Create a plan to reach that goal.
Subscribe | Share | Rate | Comment
To make sure you never miss a post, hit the subscribe button in iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, or Tune In radio. Keep your friends and co-workers up-to-date as well by sharing it with them via email or social media.
Leave a rating and a comment in iTunes to let me know how this podcast is helping you and your ministry. Also, let me know how we can make it better!
Next Episode: Micah Fletcher
In the next episode, I have a conversation with a student, Micah Fletcher, and his student pastor. Micah shares about his serving experience, what his responsibilities are, and why he does it. His student pastor, John, then talks about what he and his team do to empower students to serve.