In this episode, I talk with NextGen Pastor, Jim Murphy, about event planning. Jim talks through how his church plans events and the project management system they use. He dives into the weeds, sharing key components of the planning that goes into these events and a video that shows how to practically use the project management tool his team uses to organize their events.
Connect with Jim on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
The Evangelical Covenant Church
Links Mentioned in This Episode
4 Stages of Event Planning
- Development (6-12 months out): Event on calendar; debrief from previous event; determine teams, roles, and people needed
- Implementation: Plan for renting, purchases, facility, needed mock ups, and promotion
- Execution (3 weeks out): Teams are fully recruited and have instructions; work on plan for set up; and make final creative adjustments
- Evaluation: Begin evaluating process during execution, and do final evaluation after event
Covenant Church NextGen Newsletter – Check out an example of Covenant Church's quarterly NextGen update
TextInChurch.com – A communication channel churches can use to message volunteers, parents, attendees, and other groups of people
Basecamp – A system teams can use to collaborate on projects, have conversations, share files, etc.
Basecamp Training Video – Jim walks through a practical demonstration of how his team uses Basecamp
Trello – A collaborative project management tool
Asana – A tool teams use to track their work
- Watch the Basecamp training video
- Choose a project management tool
- Define your event planning process
Subscribe | Share | Rate | Comment
To make sure you never miss a post, hit the subscribe button in iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, or Tune In radio. Keep your friends and co-workers up-to-date as well by sharing it with them via email or social media.
Leave a rating and a comment in iTunes to let me know how this podcast is helping you and your ministry. Also, let me know how we can make it better!
Next Episode: Kevin Jennings
In the next episode, I talk with Kevin Jennings. Kevin is a marketer who does work with Orange and helps people communicate their message through social media and email marketing. He walks through a plan for how you can market well from scratch, highlighting mistakes you can make, what to focus on, and tools we can use.