In this episode, Calla Parker, from Gateway Church, shares a complete strategy and process for student mission trips. Calla works for the Missions/Global Impact team at Gateway, but has a huge passion for the next generation. In her different ministry roles, she has fostered collaboration and alignment between Global Impact and student ministries for maximum impact. Her strategy and process that she carries through adult and student mission trips covers everything from choosing leaders and preparing teams, to when you’re in the field, to discipleship, to what happens after the trip is finished.
Ministry Boost recently launched – an organization led by myself, Kenny Conley, and Kevin Monahan dedicated to helping you fast forward growth in your ministry through training and consulting for ministry leaders. We’ll also be offering coaching in partnership with YouLead coaching.
Register for our FREE Webinar, Thursday, August 23, from 1-4PM EST here.
Links Mentioned in This Episode
Student Mission Trips: A Timeline from Gateway
- Fall: Promote winter camp
- January: Winter camp announces all teams on the last day of camp
- Mid-January through Mid-March: Application process
- End of March: Process Applications
- End of March through Beginning of April: Assign people to teams and communicate with them
- April through May: Pre-field trainings where teams meet 3-4 times on Sunday evenings
- June: Teams are sent out after a Sending Sunday
- Mid-June: Celebrate service
Team Leader Training for Student Mission Trips
- Culture and worldview
- Poverty and brokenness
- Crisis management
- Biblical basis for mission trips
- Leadership skills
- How to work with students
- Spiritual maturity
- In-field coaching
- 4-week class
Thrive Studies – Small group and devotional resources for students
Managed Missions – A platform that can house applications, training materials, support and fundraising info, and any other pertinent documents for your mission processing support and funds coming through, all pertinent documents
- Evaluate your current ministry – What do you do? Where is it strong? What is missing?
- Create a timeline from beginning to end of the mission trip process and develop the pieces of the timeline
Subscribe | Share | Rate | Comment
To make sure you never miss a post, hit the subscribe button in iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, or Tune In radio. Keep your friends and co-workers up-to-date as well by sharing it with them via email or social media.
Leave a rating and a comment in iTunes to let me know how this podcast is helping you and your ministry. Also, let me know how we can make it better!