In this episode, Dr. Kara Powell gives some insights into the rising conversation about parents growing with their teenagers in regard to their faith. Through her experience at the Fuller Youth Institute, many years in local church ministry, and personally as a parent of teenagers, Kara shares both strategic and practical ways to begin partnering with parents of the next generation.
Dr. Kara Powell
Check out our courses and register now at MinistryBoost.org.
Links Mentioned in this Episode
Three Age Categories for Teenagers/Young Adults (but hold them loosely)
- Learners – 13-18-year-olds
- Experiencing rapid growth in numerous areas and newness in relationships and faith
- Explorers – 18-23-year-olds
- Excited about the future but unsure about themselves
- Focusers – 23-29-year-olds
- Adopting a clearer sense of self
Three Parenting Stages for these Categories
- Learner – needs a parent who is a TEACHER
- Hands-on parenting focused on self-reflection, self-discipline, and collaboration
- Explorer – parent transitions from a teacher to a GUIDE
- Figuring out when your teenager needs guidance and when “they've got it”
- Focuser – parents become RESOUCERS
Growing With VERBS
- WITHing – parents are urged to be “a wall” that kids can return to when they are ready (swimming analogy)
- FAITHing – owning and embodying our journeys with God as we encounter new experiences and information
- ADULTing – our child's growth in agency as they embrace opportunities to shape the world around them
- Read Growing With
- Resources from Growing With book
- Get this to parents
Get Exclusive Content from this Week's Episode
Use the form below to subscribe to my email list where you’ll get an email each Tuesday when a new podcast comes out. That email will also include something exclusive related to the podcast that’s not found in the post or in the episode.
Subscribe | Share | Rate | Comment
To make sure you never miss a post, hit the subscribe button in iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, or Tune In radio. Keep your friends and co-workers up-to-date as well by sharing it with them via email or social media.