In this episode, Linda Ranson Jacobs shares her experience with serving and ministering to single parents and families of divorce. After experiencing divorce and life as a single parent, Linda has gained both personal and ministerial insight into how the local church can partner with more families.
Linda Ranson Jacobs
Check out our courses and register now at MinistryBoost.org.
Links Mentioned in this Episode
Questions to ask when there are behavioral challenges:
- Who brought the child into your ministry?
- What mood was the child in when they arrived?
- What caused the altercation that prompted the challenging situation?
Helpful hints when working with children in divorced/single-parent homes:
- Let kids talk about their blended family at church
- Ask about both parents
- Let them know you see their situation and they are not alone
- Help them know that divorce is not their fault
- Create a safe space – tell them “You are safe here.”
What are some things church leaders should know about partnering with parents in a unique way?
- Pastors need to be aware that not all families are not nuclear families
- Pray hard, especially when you hear about a potential divorce
- Go to the parent and ask how you can help (offer to go to games together, or attend concerts at school)
- Offer to babysit
- Take the family out for a meal
- Turn blog into training
- Her book for single parents
- Check out DC4K.org
Get Exclusive Content from this Week’s Episode
Use the form below to subscribe to my email list where you’ll get an email each Tuesday when a new podcast comes out. That email will also include something exclusive related to the podcast that’s not found in the post or in the episode.
Subscribe | Share | Rate | Comment
To make sure you never miss a post, hit the subscribe button in iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, or Tune In radio. Keep your friends and co-workers up-to-date as well by sharing it with them via email or social media.