In this episode, Kenny Conley dives into three hacks for effectively onboarding volunteers within your family ministry and answers questions about having a successful volunteer orientation. This is the second part of a six-session series from an online event called Volunteer Bootcamp, hosted by Ministry Boost.
Connect with Kenny on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
Get access to the full Volunteer Bootcamp sessions and notes here.
Links Mentioned in this Episode
3 Hacks for Volunteer Onboarding
- Hack One: Stop Recruiting
- If the odds are against you, change the game
- It’s to easy for someone to tell you “no.” Instead, invite them to an experience where it’s easy to say “yes.”
- Recruit them to an orientation (it’s easy to say “yes” to come to an orientation – 1-hour time commitment)
- Create a compelling environment in your orientation where all the benefits of serving far outweigh the negatives
- Hack Two: Double Your Potential
- To double the number of potential volunteers, simply double the number of volunteer orientations
- Few churches do orientations more than once a month. Here’s the problem with this frequency (infrequency rather)
- They get sick
- Their kids get sick
- They have things come up
- They forget
- Hack Three: Host a Volun-TOUR
- **The BEST way to engage potential volunteers is to have them GET UP and take a walk.
- Don’t just talk to potential volunteers. Give them a behind-the-scenes look at one of the most exciting things happening at your church. Why?
- Tours are personal
- Everyone loves a tour
- People learn differently, tours engage everyone differently
- Tours are really easy to pull off well
- When recruiting someone to serve, they have a lot of questions. But tours help resolve the unknown in two very important ways:
- Tours give potentials an opportunity to see what ministry actually looks like
- Tours give potentials an opportunity to imagine themselves serving in the ministry
- Get Pipeline course
- Start an orientation monthly
- Hold a “volunTOUR”
Get Exclusive Content from this Week's Episode
Use the form below to subscribe to my email list where you’ll get an email each Tuesday when a new podcast comes out. That email will also include something exclusive related to the podcast that’s not found in the post or in the episode.
Subscribe | Share | Rate | Comment
To make sure you never miss a post, hit the subscribe button in iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, or Tune In radio. Keep your friends and co-workers up-to-date as well by sharing it with them via email or social media.