In this episode, we hear from Paula Dannielle on the power of creating a strategy for encouraging volunteers and creating space to do this every week. This is the third part of a six-session series from an online event called Volunteer Bootcamp, hosted by Ministry Boost.
Links Mentioned in this Episode
Ideas for Encouraging Volunteers
Idea One: Make sure they are seen
- Each of them should be known by name
- This may not be a staff member, but this could be a ministry lead, coach, etc.
- Get personal
- During huddles, take time to celebrate
- Acknowledge prayer requests
- Be sure they are greeted when they arrive and when they leave and at least once during their service hour
- VALUE: People can feel invisible during the week with all the things we have to do; help them feel seen with something they don’t have to do, but they want to do.
Idea Two: Be sure they are known
- Each of your volunteers should be confident that you know they have a life outside of volunteering each weekend
- Leaders need to know they are connected to the vision of the church, regardless of their circumstances
- Take into consideration the unique “family makeup” of each volunteer
- Single parents
- Parents with multiple kids
- Parents of kids with special needs
- Health challenges
- VALUE: When volunteers know they are cared for outside of their time serving, they will feel encouraged and feel like part of a community and a team
Idea Three: Tell them/their Stories
- Tell stories as far back and as recent as possible
- Examples of ways to tell stories:
- Storytelling wall with volunteers’ pictures on the wall
- Stories of life transformation written on cards on the wall
- Encourage stories with Communications Team; record these stories and share with people in the church
- Use huddles
- Use storyboards
- Use social media – “Visual images paint 1,000 words”
- Use names with stories
- VALUE: Stories give inspiration and tangible results that their work is not in vain, and stories encourage volunteer
- Do a 5 under 5 or What floats your boat
- Write a note each week in 2020
- Text 5 volunteers this week
Get Exclusive Content from this Week’s Episode
Use the form below to subscribe to my email list where you’ll get an email each Tuesday when a new podcast comes out. That email will also include something exclusive related to the podcast that’s not found in the post or in the episode.
Subscribe | Share | Rate | Comment
To make sure you never miss a post, hit the subscribe button in iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, or Tune In radio. Keep your friends and co-workers up-to-date as well by sharing it with them via email or social media.