In this episode, Jon Birkmire explains how their NextGen ministry has thrived and developed by empowering volunteers to lead in high capacity leadership roles, allowing them to lead like staff. This is the fifth part of a six-session series from an online event called Volunteer Bootcamp, hosted by Ministry Boost.
Connect with Jon on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.
Get access to the full Volunteer Bootcamp sessions and notes here.
Links Mentioned in this Episode
Model for Empowering Volunteers
Empowered Ministry Model
- Volunteer Directors & Volunteer Coaches/Producers
- Staff oversee ministry areas, but Volunteer Directors oversee the different experiences underneath the director's leadership
- Volunteer Director = Manager
- Volunteer Coach = Assistant Manager
- Producers = Experiential Specialists
- *These roles and language are “transferable” from different ministry areas
- Each role needs specific job descriptions that reinforce empowerment
- Look for high-capacity leaders to raise up to a new level of leadership
Ask the question, what are the things that are taking up a majority of your time that you are not good at?
- ASK – make the ask of the person you want to be on your team; give job description and onboard them
- DOWNLOAD – give them all the information they need to succeed
- APPRENTICE – strategy is as follows
- I do → You watch → We talk
- I do → You help → We talk
- You do → I help → We talk
- You do → I watch → We talk
- You do → Someone else watches
- PREPARE and TURN LOOSE
- There is nothing worse than delegating ownership to someone and then you constantly follow them around; let them lead
- Create a new org chart
- Write job descriptions
- Empower 1 leader
Get Exclusive Content from this Week's Episode
Use the form below to subscribe to my email list where you’ll get an email each Tuesday when a new podcast comes out. That email will also include something exclusive related to the podcast that’s not found in the post or in the episode.
Subscribe | Share | Rate | Comment
To make sure you never miss a post, hit the subscribe button in iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, or Tune In radio. Keep your friends and co-workers up-to-date as well by sharing it with them via email or social media.