In this episode, Tony Myles sheds light on youth ministry from the unique perspective of a pastor. After sitting in both the Youth Pastor and Lead Pastor role, he brings an understanding of how each can complement and strengthen the ministry of the other.
Check out our courses and register now at MinistryBoost.org.
Senior Pastor talks about Youth Ministry: Big Takeaways
- Why the focus of the book:
- Prideful as a young leader
- Felt a draw toward more than just Youth ministry after having been challenged with pride
- Lessons from Nehemiah:
- Focus on your own relationship with God
- Have a relationship with your church
- Then, you can step into ministry
- Unique Perspective from Senior Pastor
- Pastors just want Youth Pastors “to do their job”
- Youth Pastors want entitlements but not all the responsibility
- Question: are you here because you want to say something, or because you have something to say?
- Immaturity in regard to students, but sincere maturity with regard to senior leadership and church staff
- Alpha personality vs. Beta personality
- Different work schedule… being around the office and present
- Student Leadership
- “The Squad” is a model where you take students and ask for their feedback on what student is like and how to improve it
- You don't have to use the word “Leadership”
- Create a safe space for them to grow and be challenged and build community
- From this, allow them to start owning the ministry and the tasks that fit their strengths
- “That sounds like that would really bless you guys. Who else do you think that would bless?”
- Today's Youth Ministry Culture
- Create unique experiences
- Be personal
- Make sure it's working for the community you are in
- Get the “If, What If” book
- Get students together for convos (Squad origin)
- The Miracles of Jesus devo with students
Get Exclusive Content from this Week's Episode
Use the form below to subscribe to my email list where you’ll get an email each Tuesday when a new podcast comes out. That email will also include something exclusive related to the podcast that’s not found in the post or in the episode.
Subscribe | Share | Rate | Comment
To make sure you never miss a post, hit the subscribe button in iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, or Tune In radio. Keep your friends and co-workers up-to-date as well by sharing it with them via email or social media.