In this episode, Mike Clear shares some of his experiences moving from working within family ministry roles to serving family ministries through Orange and the Rethink Group. He also explains more about the heart and strategy behind some of the world’s leading Kidmin curriculum and how it is being utilized in churches.
Connect with Mike on Facebook.
Check out our courses and register now at MinistryBoost.org.
Thoughts after moving from church leadership roles to volunteering:
- Getting to choose a church based on the focus on the community and kidmin
- Enjoyable to serve because you want to instead of having to
- Consider the lives and rhythms of your volunteer force
- High-bar / High-grace
- PHASE appropriate curriculum
- First Look
- 252 Kids
- Weekly Bottom Lines – phrases to remember and prompt conversation
- 252 Preteen
- Weekly Questions – questions to prompt dialogue and ownership
- Preteens want to know if it’s a safe space to ask questions
What are some best practices for implementing curriculum?
- Speaking of Orange Curriculum, they have attempted to be accomodating and provide options for churches/ministries of every size
- PLEASE call your Orange Specialists
- Don’t ever use a curriculum “as is”
- Edit for contextualized culture in your community and in your church
- You know your kids better than curriculum writers, but you shouldn’t have to hire someone to write
- For kids in elementary age, they need to get to know Jesus
- Life Apps are opportunities for kids to see how the Bible truly applies to their lives
- what God is doing “in you” to help change you and the world around you
- It’s not just a curriculum, it’s a strategy
- if you highly value groups, this strategy will support you
- if you do not value the strategy, the curriculum will be difficult to implement
- Try out the preteen curriculum – see the YT show
- Listen to Orange Kids podcast
- Listen to Ear Biscuits podcast on denouncing faith
Get Exclusive Content from this Week’s Episode
Use the form below to subscribe to my email list where you’ll get an email each Tuesday when a new podcast comes out. That email will also include something exclusive related to the podcast that’s not found in the post or in the episode.
Subscribe | Share | Rate | Comment
To make sure you never miss a post, hit the subscribe button in iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, or Tune In radio. Keep your friends and co-workers up-to-date as well by sharing it with them via email or social media.