In this episode, Stephen Law reveals the tips and tricks he developed for middle school ministry using Discord as a platform for engagement. Stephen also shares some of the ways their student ministry has adapted to the ever-changing reality of church needing to be present in-person and online.
Connect with Stephen online at Harborside Students and his personal website.
Check out our courses and register now at MinistryBoost.org.
- Three services for middle schoolers on Sunday mornings
- One service – bible study (ask anything)
- Two services – regular middle school service with a large group and small group experience
- Wednesday nights (Connectors), sometimes on Monday nights
- 8-week rotations in-line with adult Connect Groups
- Some overlap of engagement from different service options
- Online with Instagram (prior to COVID)
- Moved to YouTube LIVE during their middle school services (prior to COVID)
- Post-COVID – began running full service from his house on YouTube LIVE
Post-COVID – Regathering:
- Initial weeks of regathering – 70-75% of normal attendance
- Fun fact: for the first time ever, more middle schoolers than there were kids in services
- Tried ZOOM, but not a lot of traction
- Moved to using Discord App (began developing in July 2019) but launched after COVID
Using Discord server:
- Originated for gamers
- Many schools and church began using
- Ability to create profiles and roles within the platform in a safe environment
- Created webpage and guide for kids and families to learn how to use
- **Cannot go on and find everyone's server; you must be given the server's specific link
- Used “automated moderated” to assign roles and verify “rule acceptance”
- Assigned specific roles for students, leaders, parents, etc., with settings for involvement
- Ideas for events:
- Minecraft Monday
- Wednesday night groups – discussions in chat or voice or video
- Friday Night game nights – family involvement
- Sunday services – streamed to YouTube, then students interacted through Discord
- **Ability to see messages even after deleted
- Because students log in, there are immediate attendance/engagement numbers
- Check out Discord
- Find a digital way to connect students – that's safe
- Start with leaders
Get Exclusive Content from this Week's Episode
Use the form below to subscribe to my email list where you’ll get an email each Tuesday when a new podcast comes out. That email will also include something exclusive related to the podcast that’s not found in the post or in the episode.
Subscribe | Share | Rate | Comment
To make sure you never miss a post, hit the subscribe button in iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, or Tune In radio. Keep your friends and co-workers up-to-date as well by sharing it with them via email or social media.